The Miller Centre, originally called Forest Road or Quidi Vidi Hospital, was a military hospital built in 1851. In the 1880’s it became the General Hospital and in 1978 it was renamed the Dr. Leonard A. Miller Centre.
Dr. Miller was an influential doctor and political figure who made many important decisions affecting Newfoundland’s medical history, including the cottage hospitals, the children’s health plan, Medicare and the medical school at Memorial University. His legacy lives on in the building named for him, which now is a centre for continuing care in St. John’s.
The Miller Centre complex includes Southcott Hall, the present home of the Centre for Nursing Studies, and the Caribou Memorial Veterans Pavilion, a beautiful residence for the veterans of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The L.A. Miller Centre is located at:
100 Forest Road
St. John’s, NL