Who we are
We are a team of health-care providers that provide high and low intensity rehabilitation services in three different inpatient units:
Rehabilitation Unit 2 South
This intensive rehabilitation unit is located on the second floor and focuses primarily on stroke rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation Unit 2 North
This intensive rehabilitation unit is located on the second floor and primarily focuses on traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation Unit 3 South
This low intensity rehabilitation unit is located on the third floor and focuses on orthopedic, prosthetic and deconditioned patients recovering from medical or surgical conditions.
High intensity rehabilitation requires patients to be able to participate in two to four hour sessions of therapy five days per week.
Low intensity rehabilitation requires patients to be able to participate in one hour of combined therapy, five days per week.
What we do
Our program follows an integrated team approach.
As a patient, you are the centre of this team. You are required to take an active role in your therapy and make decisions about your care. Members of our team help you and your family set goals. Goals may include:
- washing and dressing,
- talking on the telephone or
- coping with loss.
The rehabilitation team works with you and focuses on what you can do. Each patient’s goals and therapy schedules are different.
Who we see
We see people over the age of 18 who have been admitted to the Dr. L. A. Miller Centre.
- Patients with stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, complex orthopedic conditions, amputations and other neurological conditions are appropriate for intensive rehabilitation units. This service provides both regional and provincial rehabilitation.
- We also see patients that require low intensity rehabilitation and who have been referred from city hospitals within Eastern Health. For instance, patients with multiple health problems, orthopedic restrictions or those who have become deconditioned as a result of a complex acute care stay.
For more information, please see For patients and families: coming to rehabilitation services as an admitted inpatient.
How to access this service
Patients may be referred to the inpatient rehabilitation program by a member of their health-care team with input from all members participating in the patient’s care.
A completed inpatient rehabilitation services referral form (PDF) should be submitted. Further questions on patient referrals or admissions can be directed to the intake coordinator/manager at 709-777-8917.
Where we are
Dr. L. A. Miller Centre
100 Forest Road,
St. John’s, NL A1A 1E5
Hours of operation
We operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Visiting hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily.
How to reach us
Front-desk telephone: 709-777-6555
- Nursing Station 2 North: 709-777-6292
- Nursing Station 2 South: 709-777-6472
- Nursing Station 3 South: 709-777-7367